Social Media Manager - Public Relations
What is Social Media?
Here is some info/pics, I found through research, I collected the best information to describe how social media works and how it can benefit your company. This information is from viruses sites on the World Wide Web. I will try to quote where I have pulled the information from for your reference.
The term Social Media refers to the use of web-based and mobile technologies to turn communication into an interactive dialogue. Andreas Kaplan and Michael Haenlein define social media as "a group of Internet-based applications that build on the ideological and technological foundations. Social media has substantially changed the way of communication between organizations, communities, as well as individuals.
The best way to define social media is to break it down. Media is an instrument on communication, like a newspaper or a radio, so social media would be a social instrument of communication.
Think of regular media as a one-way street where you can read a newspaper or listen to a report on television, but you have very limited ability to give your thoughts on the matter. Social media, on the other hand, is a two-way street that gives you the ability to communicate too.
What Are Some Social Media Websites?
(webtrends) - Now that we have answered the question of what is social media, we can move on to social media websites. Because social media is such a broad term, it covers a large range of websites. But the one common link between these websites is that you are able to interact with the website and interact with other visitors.
Here are some examples of social media websites:
- Social Bookmarking. (Del.icio.us, Blinklist, Simpy) Interact by tagging websites and searching through websites bookmarked by other people.
- Social News. (Digg, Propeller, Reddit) Interact by voting for articles and commenting on them.
- Social Networking. (Facebook, Hi5, Last.FM) Interact by adding friends, commenting on profiles, joining groups and having discussions.
- Social Photo and Video Sharing. (YouTube, Flickr) Interact by sharing photos or videos and commenting on user submissions.
These numbers were pulled from a recent study done on social media. Look at all the traffic (potential customers) you could be reaching by having someone take care of social media for you. Image from google image.
Time and time again, I have different types of businesses call me in to hear what I have to say about promoting their business through social media and networking.
All though many of these people do have at least one personal social network for themselves (such as Face Book or Twitter), that they do have fun with on action, I hear Quotes such as these, just to name a few, I will give you the most popular:
- "I hardly ever get on there."
- "My spouse made me make one for the family."
- " I already have a website that’s getting good hits, I don’t need any more for the internet to see."
- Owe, this one is my favorite " I think all that social media is just a fade and going to die out soon."
All’s I can do is to try and educate you, get your mined to open a little bit. The world has changed, there is alot more compitition out there all over the web & social media. Understanding the preparation involved and how you can make your online marketing efforts go that bit further.
- It’s time to realize you can triple the traffic to your site, email, & phone, just by having social media in place and working it correctly. MORE CUSTOMERS for your business.
- Would'nt you love to have the problem of not being able to keep up with things and needing to hire more employees?
- Do you want your business to grow, or are you happy with each quarter you see the numbers falling as you file your taxes?
- Would you like to retire and have your company running itself? Or do you want to close your doors because you’re tired?
It is past time to get yourself all over the web, in any way you can. Compitision is out there. Social Media will create branding, eye recognition, people spreading the word about your company for you. Not only that but it’s FREE! It just seems like a no brainer to me, I have seen it work many companies that are using it to their advantage.